Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An engineer who designs and maintains roads, bridges, dams, and similar structures.
- ‘Project managers, civil engineers, quantity surveyors, mechanical engineers, railway engineers, electrical and electronic engineers and structural designers are all currently in demand.’
- ‘It will help synthesize and spread the knowledge among civil engineers, architects, developers, and other people linked to the housing construction industry.’
- ‘The first notable effort for renovation was made in 1999 when the civic body set up a technical committee comprising architects, academicians and civil engineers.’
- ‘In the same vein, maybe instead of employing civil engineers to design our bridges, we should just let the public pick a design via auction.’
- ‘They are surveyors, builders, designers, architects, and civil engineers.’
- ‘Added to this, our construction division has been busy, with demand for design, structural and civil engineers.’
- ‘The idea is to keep the wolves at bay, so the radar unit is sending teams of engineers, radar maintainers and civil engineers across America to make adjustments.’
- ‘The company offers an integrated series of programs for surveyors, contractors and civil engineers engaged in site, subdivision, river and road engineering projects.’
- ‘By 1950, civil engineers had constructed some 5,000 dams higher than fifty feet on rivers around the world.’
- ‘Architects and civil engineers spend years at university learning these kinds of advanced skills.’
- ‘Each strategy represents an opportunity for civil engineers - in collaboration with other engineers and scientists - to develop innovative solutions.’
- ‘Those jobs, most managed by the base civil engineer, were completed by 1999.’
- ‘The civil engineering field has remained relatively stable, and most civil engineers are enjoying considerable demand and concurrently stable salaries.’
- ‘They are engineers, architects, and civil engineers, mostly scientists.’
- ‘Imagine if civil engineers built bridges with the same careless attention to fundamental engineering practices as many software developers.’
- ‘Parametric design software has to date primarily been developed for mechanical engineers, civil engineers, and industrial designers.’
- ‘He is among five architects and civil engineers helping with the master plan.’
- ‘It's a shame actually, because we have a number of highly skilled professional members such as civil engineers and architects.’
- ‘Extending the life of structures is the goal of civil engineers.’
- ‘It concentrates on supplying dedicated software systems to resellers as well as to architects, engineers, construction companies, mechanical engineers, civil engineers and industrial design companies.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.