One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The organization and training of civilians to be prepared for attacks in wartime.
- ‘During the war, he served as a captain in York's civil defence, dealing with air raids on the city.’
- ‘Today I got my hands on an incredible collection of WW2 civil defense manuals.’
- ‘Both military and civil defense are well developed, and the armed forces are equipped.’
- ‘They will be given the authority to enlist any member of the public to help civil defence staff and to commandeer equipment or strategic buildings.’
- ‘The civil defense forces did not have sufficient firepower or training.’
- ‘As we become more reliant on the net to communicate, our civil defence strategy needs to invest far more in technology to counter such potential disruption.’
- ‘Yes, because we are working to meet the needs of the community as those needs are identified by local and regional government civil defence organisations.’
- ‘The ending of the Cold War has resulted in diminished interest in, and budgeting for, civil defence in the traditional sense as a response to military attack.’
- ‘The City Administration has started training selected public order and civil defense officers to use gas pistols, an official said on Monday.’
- ‘They started down the road of civil defense and preparedness.’
- ‘Britain's wartime civil defence workers are being commemorated at an exhibition during Remembrance weekend.’
- ‘The civil defence headquarters of the district instantly organized the evacuation of people to underground shelters and out into the suburbs.’
- ‘These senior ministers would have been accompanied by military, intelligence and civil defence officers.’
- ‘During his brief retirement, he took on the task of civil defense, wearing the uniform and insignia of a volunteer corporal roaming the streets of his town challenging passers-by.’
- ‘And civil defense programs consisted of urging families to take cover and build fallout shelters and directing the development of community air raid shelters.’
- ‘Beyond money for military and civil defense, Washington should increase general revenue-sharing outlays, so that hard-pressed states don't have to raise taxes in a recession.’
- ‘Stories could cover a wide range of topics including evacuation, bombing raids, civil defence, air raid precaution, home guard, land army, rationing, fire duty or digging for victory.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.