One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The loss of a citizen's privileges through life imprisonment, banishment, etc.
- ‘Most institutional structures such as higher education will even educate those who experience social or civil death to appreciate this type of poetry as authentic and what we most like.’
- ‘He recalled the civil death of penal servitude.’
- ‘It is not open to a State to subject a citizen to a civil death, that is to deprive an individual of legal personality.’
- ‘While civil death is no longer applied, all of the other consequences of a felony conviction operate in some form or another depending upon the state in which the ex-felon resides.’
- ‘Breaching the social contract and ending up in jail doesn't necessarily mean that you lose all your rights: that would go back to the very dark ages, the idea of civil death.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.