Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A fragrant natural oil used as an insect repellent and in perfume and soap manufacture.
- ‘You can illuminate your garden with a selection of wooden or metal lanterns, colour-changing lily pad lights or bright, citronella bucket candles.’
- ‘And even though I wasn't there to buy things for the new house, but to purchase things to get out of this one, I tucked a small, bright orange citronella candle into the cart.’
- ‘A string hammock, citronella candles, a hiking staff, bug spray and face net, sunscreen, sunglasses and bathing suit reminded them of the warm climate she was used to, and suddenly they felt colder for it.’
- ‘The night air is acrid with the scent of hundreds of citronella candles.’
- ‘Repellent candles or lamps, that burn citronella oil, are readily available from hardware stores and some supermarkets.’
- ‘Most use citronella oil as a primary bug deterrent, but some contain long lists of ‘essential’ ingredients.’
- ‘While some products utilize natural repellents such as lemongrass or citronella, they don't protect you for long.’
- ‘This product consists of clay pellets impregnated with a blend of citronella oils which cats detest.’
- ‘Essential oils from allspice, basil, cedar, cinnamon, citronella, garlic, geranium, lavender, pennyroyal, peppermint, pine, rosemary, and thyme have been reported to have repellent properties.’
- ‘Substances that cats find aversive include citronella, perfumes, solid air fresheners, citrus, aloe, and eucalyptus oil.’
- ‘Herbal flea collars containing essential oils such as pennyroyal, eucalyptus and citronella can also prevent fleas and ticks from landing on your pet.’
- ‘I snuck out of my family's rented cottage one hot August night and wandered until I happened upon a scene lit by flickering tiki torches and glowing citronella sticks.’
- ‘First thing you are going to need are mosquito coils or citronella candles to keep away the winged blood-suckers.’
- ‘Many essential oils including citronella, lavender, and peppermint act as a natural repellent against insects.’
- ‘Jam laced with derris, camphor, citronella or pepper also makes an effective bait.’
- ‘It has combined pure vegetable wax with citronella (an essential oil) and hemp seed oil to create a toxic-free summer evening.’
- ‘When I go outside and smell more burning leaves than citronella candles, it can only mean fall is here, and that winter and spring aren't too far behind.’
- ‘She has suggested citronella candles to combat stress.’
- ‘New machines designed to release sprays based on citronella oil or geraniol, another plant-derived repellent with a sweet, rosy odor, also are available.’
- ‘Fill the bionic bug's head with citronella lamp oil, light the wick, and watch all attackers turn and flee for their lives.’
2The southern Asian grass from which the citronella oil is obtained.
- ‘The research station has succeeded in making 400 lemon grass germ plasm collections, 21 pamarosa collections, 8 vetiver collections and 18 citronella collections.’
- ‘The citronella, or mosquito plant, is a scented geranium related to the common garden geranium.’
- ‘And today candles made with oil from citronella grass help keep the bugs away from backyard barbecues.’
- ‘Some herbs that repel fleas include: juniper, pennyroyal, citronella, eucalyptus, cedar and Canadian fleabane.’
Mid 19th century: modern Latin, from citron + the diminutive suffix -ella.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.