A cytotoxic drug used in cancer chemotherapy.
- ‘Prescribing patterns were more uniform for the older, more familiar drugs such as cisplatin, which showed a variation of about 2.3.’
- ‘Cancer drugs used for primary bone cancer include methotrexate, doxorubicin, and cisplatin.’
- ‘It's true that these compounds aren't in the same side-effect league as, say, the old cytotoxic agents like cisplatin, but they're a long way from the lasering-in-on-the-single-important-factor storyline from a few years ago.’
- ‘The authors conclude that postsurgical chemotherapy that includes cisplatin increases the five-year survival rate in patients with non-small-cell lung cancer.’
- ‘In this study, researchers developed head and neck cancer cell cultures resistant to the chemotherapy drug cisplatin, a platinum-based drug frequently used to treat this type of cancer.’
Late 20th century: from cis- + platinum.