One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A freshwater whitefish of northern countries. Most species are migratory and are important food fishes.
Genus Coregonus, family Salmonidae: several species, including the lake cisco (C. artedii) of North America, and the Arctic cisco (C. autumnalis) of northern Eurasia and northern North America
- ‘Only a handful of endangered species, such as the Tecopa pupfish, the longjaw cisco, and the dusky seaside sparrow, have ever been taken off the list because they went extinct.’
- ‘Other Great Lakes species that have been lost are the deepwater cisco in the 1950's, the blackfin cisco in the 1960s, and the longjaw cisco in the 1970's.’
- ‘Overfishing of other species of ciscoes has reduced populations, and shifted more pressure to Coregonus hoyi.’
- ‘They prey on such fish as the cisco (lake herring), lake whitefish, central mudminnow, and golden shiner.’
- ‘Coregonine fishes in New York, both whitefish and cisco, have been extensively introduced into waters outside of their natural ranges, such as lakes in the Adirondack Mountains.’
Mid 19th century: of unknown origin.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.