Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Denoting or relating to a molecular structure in which two particular atoms or groups lie on the same side of a given plane in the molecule, in particular denoting an isomer in which substituents at opposite ends of a carbon–carbon double bond are on the same side of the bond.‘the cis isomer of stilbene’Compare with trans
- ‘Greater reductions occur when cis double bonds are located near the middle of the acyl chains.’
- ‘As in our system, here again the cis isomer remains photoactive.’
- ‘But ultraviolet light converts the molecule to the cis isomer, in which both propellers are on the same side.’
- ‘Examples of stereoisomers include the cis and trans isomers of the alkenes.’
- ‘For example, the cis double bond at the centre of the fatty chain in erucamide and oleamide appears vital for slip performance.’
Independent usage of cis-.
- ‘we do not make arbitrary distinctions between trans and cis women’short for cisgender
- ‘I wasn't trying to set up a competition or hierarchy between trans and cis people.’
- ‘They're also implicitly acknowledging that gender is never fixed, it is never a constant for anyone, cis or trans.’
- ‘It's been really amazing to see the response from our cis allies against transphobia from parts of the radical feminist community.’
- ‘Cooper's take on masculinity is that all of us—male or female, trans or cis—take it for granted, fail to question it, and thus are "complicit" with it.’
- ‘Trans people tend to be more aware of transphobia than most cis people are.’
- ‘To witness black cis women and trans women support one another is indeed a radical representation of the possibilities of black solidarity.’
Commonwealth of Independent States.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.