Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A crustacean of the class "Cirripedia"; a barnacle.
- ‘He said he had fallen asleep while sunbathing on the beach in shallow water and had awoken to find the clinging cirriped firmly in place.’
- ‘On the other hand, some cirriped species may dissociate from dead sea turtles as occurs with other commensal taxa, which are rarely found on dead stranded sea turtles.’
- ‘The cleaning process of the illustrated sample containing numerous cirriped plates was accomplished within 10 seconds!’
- ‘Recent climate changes and the beneficial habitat of the buoys favour the introduction of exotic cirripeds.’
- ‘When fossil cirripeds are found they are often individual plates broken from the rest of the animal or traces left where they were attached or burrowed.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.