Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A crustacean of the class "Cirripedia"; a barnacle.
- ‘He said he had fallen asleep while sunbathing on the beach in shallow water and had awoken to find the clinging cirriped firmly in place.’
- ‘When fossil cirripeds are found they are often individual plates broken from the rest of the animal or traces left where they were attached or burrowed.’
- ‘On the other hand, some cirriped species may dissociate from dead sea turtles as occurs with other commensal taxa, which are rarely found on dead stranded sea turtles.’
- ‘Recent climate changes and the beneficial habitat of the buoys favour the introduction of exotic cirripeds.’
- ‘The cleaning process of the illustrated sample containing numerous cirriped plates was accomplished within 10 seconds!’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.