Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A chronic disease of the liver marked by degeneration of cells, inflammation, and fibrous thickening of tissue. It is typically a result of alcoholism or hepatitis.
- ‘In the United States, milk thistle is most commonly used to treat viral infections and cirrhosis of the liver.’
- ‘Three people a day died of liver cancer and cirrhosis incurred by hepatitis B.’
- ‘Other risk factors include asthma, cirrhosis, diabetes, and ulcerative colitis.’
- ‘Chronic infection can lead to liver inflammation, cirrhosis, cancer and death.’
- ‘Last year 1714 women died from liver cirrhosis, 680 more than from cervical cancer.’
- ‘Chronic viral hepatitis is the main cause of chronic liver disease, cirrhosis and hepatocellular carcinoma throughout the world.’
- ‘However, heavy drinkers have shortened life expectancy as a result of accidents and diseases, including liver cirrhosis.’
- ‘There seems little doubt that death rates from chronic liver disease and cirrhosis are on the rise.’
- ‘Cardiovascular diseases, cancer, cirrhosis of the liver, and accidents are the major causes of death.’
- ‘It is also common in people with widespread cancer, leukaemia, diabetes, cirrhosis of the liver or major burns.’
- ‘Cases progress slowly resulting in chronic liver diseases, cirrhosis and cancer.’
- ‘Alcohol consumption is associated with a number of disorders such as cirrhosis of the liver and some cancers.’
- ‘Among the most prevalent liver diseases in this group are hepatitis and alcoholic cirrhosis.’
- ‘Number two would be alcoholic cirrhosis or cirrhosis from some other cause.’
- ‘Heart disease and non-hepatic cancer killed more of the cohort than cirrhosis or cancer of the liver.’
- ‘In heart failure, cirrhosis develops secondary to chronic passive congestion of the liver.’
- ‘Cells like that have been used to prevent cirrhosis of the liver and to heal diabetic ulcers and for drug testing.’
- ‘The longer the duration of liver disease, the more likely that liver failure or cirrhosis is imminent.’
- ‘Untreated Hepatitis B can evolve into liver cirrhosis and liver cancer.’
- ‘Some types of hepatitis not related to alcohol consumption can lead to liver cirrhosis and liver cancer.’
Early 19th century: modern Latin, from Greek kirrhos ‘tawny’ (because this is the color of the liver in many cases).
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.