One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A chronic disease of the liver marked by degeneration of cells, inflammation, and fibrous thickening of tissue. It is typically a result of alcoholism or hepatitis.
- ‘Chronic infection can lead to liver inflammation, cirrhosis, cancer and death.’
- ‘Among the most prevalent liver diseases in this group are hepatitis and alcoholic cirrhosis.’
- ‘Number two would be alcoholic cirrhosis or cirrhosis from some other cause.’
- ‘There seems little doubt that death rates from chronic liver disease and cirrhosis are on the rise.’
- ‘It is also common in people with widespread cancer, leukaemia, diabetes, cirrhosis of the liver or major burns.’
- ‘Last year 1714 women died from liver cirrhosis, 680 more than from cervical cancer.’
- ‘Chronic viral hepatitis is the main cause of chronic liver disease, cirrhosis and hepatocellular carcinoma throughout the world.’
- ‘Alcohol consumption is associated with a number of disorders such as cirrhosis of the liver and some cancers.’
- ‘Cells like that have been used to prevent cirrhosis of the liver and to heal diabetic ulcers and for drug testing.’
- ‘In the United States, milk thistle is most commonly used to treat viral infections and cirrhosis of the liver.’
- ‘Untreated Hepatitis B can evolve into liver cirrhosis and liver cancer.’
- ‘The longer the duration of liver disease, the more likely that liver failure or cirrhosis is imminent.’
- ‘In heart failure, cirrhosis develops secondary to chronic passive congestion of the liver.’
- ‘Some types of hepatitis not related to alcohol consumption can lead to liver cirrhosis and liver cancer.’
- ‘Heart disease and non-hepatic cancer killed more of the cohort than cirrhosis or cancer of the liver.’
- ‘Cases progress slowly resulting in chronic liver diseases, cirrhosis and cancer.’
- ‘Cardiovascular diseases, cancer, cirrhosis of the liver, and accidents are the major causes of death.’
- ‘However, heavy drinkers have shortened life expectancy as a result of accidents and diseases, including liver cirrhosis.’
- ‘Three people a day died of liver cancer and cirrhosis incurred by hepatitis B.’
- ‘Other risk factors include asthma, cirrhosis, diabetes, and ulcerative colitis.’
Early 19th century: modern Latin, from Greek kirrhos ‘tawny’ (because this is the color of the liver in many cases).
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.