One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Surrounding.‘the circumjacent parts of the mouth’
neighbouring, nearby, near, neighbourhood, localView synonyms
- ‘The city and its circumjacent area integrated nearly 1000 cultural media companies.’
- ‘Thus does the earth rotate together with its circumjacent waters and encircling atmosphere.’
- ‘This leads to late diagnosis, with progressive bone lysis affecting important circumjacent structures.’
- ‘Light-reflecting displays are ideally suited for eyes, as the difference between the light exposure of the display and the circumjacent background is automatically eliminated.’
- ‘More than 1,000 music teachers from Guangzhou and circumjacent places will get together here.’
Late 15th century: from Latin circumjacent- ‘lying round about, bordering upon’, from the verb circumjacere, from circum ‘around’ + jacere ‘to lie’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.