Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The system that circulates blood and lymph through the body, consisting of the heart, blood vessels, blood, lymph, and the lymphatic vessels and glands.Also called cardiovascular system
- ‘The mouth is the gateway to the entire body and is a major influence on important areas, including the digestive tract, heart, circulatory system and the brain.’
- ‘The circulatory system includes the heart, blood, and blood vessels.’
- ‘The main intention of therapeutic massage is to promote general relaxation and muscular relaxation, and to enhance the body's circulatory system.’
- ‘Then, as the embryonic circulatory system develops, blood vessels grow into the villi on the implanted side of the embryo; this becomes the fetal component of the placenta.’
- ‘A healthy banking system is to an economy what a healthy circulatory system is to a body.’
- ‘These cells move throughout the body through the circulatory system or through the lymphatic system, often lodging in tiny capillaries.’
- ‘Dance therapy gives a person substantial exercise, strengthens the heart, lungs, circulatory system, and burns calories and cuts down fat.’
- ‘Then he moved to the muscular system, the skeletal system, the circulatory system, and the lymphatic system, in that specific order.’
- ‘Hormones - produced by the endocrine system - are also transported through the blood in our circulatory system.’
- ‘Cardiovascular disease is an umbrella term used to identify a range of diseases that affect the heart and circulatory system.’
- ‘The circulatory system includes a heart that pumps blood into an open body cavity or hemocoel.’
- ‘Their effects have been examined on the circulatory system, the digestive system, and exoskeletal muscles.’
- ‘The right ventricle pumps blood throughout the circulatory system via the aorta and is the major pumping chamber of the heart.’
- ‘It undermines regulation of the circulatory system so that the heart muscle works harder and the blood vessels are subject to damage by blood flow turbulence.’
- ‘The heart, lungs, and blood vessels make up the circulatory system of the human body.’
- ‘Once they do, they help the tumor to form its own robust network of blood vessels, weaving a circulatory system throughout the tumor mass.’
- ‘Our blood is pumped by a four-chambered heart through a closed circulatory system with arteries and veins; it does not just slosh around in our body cavity.’
- ‘Aerobic exercise increases your breathing and heart rate, which can improve the health of your heart, lungs and circulatory system.’
- ‘While the damage is hidden with no outward sign, as in the case of affected lymph circulatory systems or kidneys, diagnosis is difficult.’
- ‘The origin of these endothelial cells, which play a vital role in the body's circulatory system and internal organs, had been uncertain.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.