Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A technique of inhaling through the nose while blowing air through the lips from the cheeks, used to maintain constant exhalation especially by players of certain wind instruments.
- ‘He uses his trademark circular breathing method to produce sustained passages of fluent playing.’
- ‘He displays an impressive circular breathing technique on bass clarinet.’
- ‘Notable live highlights were show-stopping performances from the likes of Courtney Pine, who amazed with his virtuoso display of circular breathing.’
- ‘He was a master of the circular breathing technique and he could play flute with his nose.’
- ‘He uses extended techniques for the saxophone, such as multiphonics, slaptongue and circular breathing.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.