One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A country dance or folk dance, typically following a traditional set of steps, in which dancers form a circle.
- ‘Their dances include the punta dance and the hunguhungu, a circle dance.’
- ‘After taking his bride, we all accompanied them into the street filled with music and the Horo, the traditional circle dance.’
- ‘Dancing certainly existed, probably generally performed to verse singing, and is likely to have taken the form of circle dances.’
- ‘In Act Two the Gypsy chorus was delightfully portrayed, a circle dance of zest and complex choreography.’
- ‘When villagers celebrated with a circle dance inside a barn, one coarse peasant let out a rough, insinuating whistle.’
- ‘Village leaders rattle gourd instruments and chanting men in body paint perform circle dances during their annual festivals.’
- ‘The best-known Bulgarian folk dance is the horo, a fast, swirling circle dance.’
- ‘Someone led us in a circle dance, which broke the ice.’
- ‘The national dance is the hora, a circle dance performed at festive occasions.’
- ‘The nijemo kolo is a circle dance performed to foot stamping rather than music.’
- ‘They then joined in the circle dance a group had started and danced till they couldn't stand.’
- ‘Despite the shaky rhythms of the DJ, a circle dance of revellers developed.’
- ‘They turned twice, sharply cutting the edges of their lopsided circle dance.’
- ‘Many Macedonian dances are based on the Horo, or circle dance.’
- ‘The popular kolo or circle dance is performed to the accompaniment of the tamburitsa, a traditional mandolin-like stringed instrument.’
- ‘I once fantasized that I would celebrate my retirement with a large party, where all the colleagues and students who were important to me would reappear and would do one last circle dance.’
- ‘Sometimes they entertain themselves by holding an athen, a sort of circle dance performed to the beat of a big drum.’
- ‘Everyone joins in the gwila, or circle dance, which often occurs spontaneously when a joyous event occurs.’
- ‘I recall my father saying to my mother, watching my sister in a circle dance at the synagogue reception, how graceful she is.’
- ‘He traveled to various places collecting the various dances and eventually the circle dance culture spread.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.