One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A country dance or folk dance, typically following a traditional set of steps, in which dancers form a circle.
- ‘The best-known Bulgarian folk dance is the horo, a fast, swirling circle dance.’
- ‘Someone led us in a circle dance, which broke the ice.’
- ‘After taking his bride, we all accompanied them into the street filled with music and the Horo, the traditional circle dance.’
- ‘The national dance is the hora, a circle dance performed at festive occasions.’
- ‘In Act Two the Gypsy chorus was delightfully portrayed, a circle dance of zest and complex choreography.’
- ‘Their dances include the punta dance and the hunguhungu, a circle dance.’
- ‘He traveled to various places collecting the various dances and eventually the circle dance culture spread.’
- ‘The popular kolo or circle dance is performed to the accompaniment of the tamburitsa, a traditional mandolin-like stringed instrument.’
- ‘When villagers celebrated with a circle dance inside a barn, one coarse peasant let out a rough, insinuating whistle.’
- ‘They turned twice, sharply cutting the edges of their lopsided circle dance.’
- ‘Many Macedonian dances are based on the Horo, or circle dance.’
- ‘Everyone joins in the gwila, or circle dance, which often occurs spontaneously when a joyous event occurs.’
- ‘Village leaders rattle gourd instruments and chanting men in body paint perform circle dances during their annual festivals.’
- ‘Dancing certainly existed, probably generally performed to verse singing, and is likely to have taken the form of circle dances.’
- ‘I once fantasized that I would celebrate my retirement with a large party, where all the colleagues and students who were important to me would reappear and would do one last circle dance.’
- ‘They then joined in the circle dance a group had started and danced till they couldn't stand.’
- ‘Despite the shaky rhythms of the DJ, a circle dance of revellers developed.’
- ‘The nijemo kolo is a circle dance performed to foot stamping rather than music.’
- ‘I recall my father saying to my mother, watching my sister in a circle dance at the synagogue reception, how graceful she is.’
- ‘Sometimes they entertain themselves by holding an athen, a sort of circle dance performed to the beat of a big drum.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.