One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The 16th century as a period of Italian art, architecture, or literature, with a reversion to classical forms.
- ‘Such complexity of meanings appealed marvelously to learned patrons and artists of the cinquecento.’
- ‘He was an accomplished decorator in the cinquecento style.’
- ‘In the late cinquecento, Florentine patrons seized upon the cloister lunette fresco cycle as an ideal format for reformist didactic painting.’
- ‘In the middle of the cinquecento, at least in certain cultivated circles, there was a taste for figures in paintings that ambiguously combined male and female characteristics.’
- ‘Benedetto Montagna worked as a painter and engraver well into the cinquecento.’
Italian, literally ‘500’ (shortened from milcinquecento ‘1500’) used with reference to the years 1500–99.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.