One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A piece, typically several inches long, of the peeled, dried, and rolled bark of a cinnamon tree, used decoratively or to flavor mulled drinks.
- ‘A few cloves or cinnamon stick pieces would be a nice addition, or some dried rosebuds and petals.’
- ‘I put a cinnamon stick in the filter with the grounds so my coffee tastes cinnamon-like.’
- ‘In a saucepan, combine brown sugar, almonds, cinnamon stick, nutmeg, cloves, allspice and wine.’
- ‘In a small saucepan bring cream, milk, orange zest and cinnamon sticks to a boil.’
- ‘Take in the aroma of the towering spice trees whose barks provide cinnamon sticks, used to make delicious cocoa and spice tea.’
- ‘Heat the sugar gently in a heavy-based saucepan with a tablespoon of water and the cinnamon stick until it dissolves and becomes clear.’
- ‘The cinnamon sticks that one buys are pieces of bark that have been dried and rolled up like a cigar.’
- ‘Garnish with a sprig of thyme, cinnamon stick, and star anise.’
- ‘Pour cider in a shot glass, garnished with the cinnamon stick.’
- ‘You can experiment with other materials - twigs, bamboo, cinnamon sticks - as your personal whims dictate.’
- ‘She stirred her cappuccino with a cinnamon stick, and looked thoughtfully at the foam for a few minutes.’
- ‘Hot whisky, with a lemon slice, a cinnamon stick and some cloves will thunder through those blocked sinuses in no time.’
- ‘Tie on bundles of cinnamon sticks for a fabulous fragrance.’
- ‘I had tacos with meat and crunchy cinnamon sticks.’
- ‘Decorate with the cinnamon sticks, and if you fancy, almonds and sesame seeds.’
- ‘There is little better than warm apple cider with a cinnamon stick.’
- ‘Place the orange and lemon rinds, cloves and cinnamon sticks into a piece of 100% cotton cheesecloth.’
- ‘Homemade decorations using cinnamon sticks and whole star anise can be strung together with thin ribbon or raffia and hung from the branches.’
- ‘She said the drink is more interesting if there are whole cinnamon sticks and nutmeg with a grater on the bar.’
- ‘Spoon some cinnamon sauce over the dish and garnish with caramelized sugar, cinnamon sticks and ground espresso.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.