One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A piece, typically several inches long, of the peeled, dried, and rolled bark of a cinnamon tree, used decoratively or to flavor mulled drinks.
- ‘Garnish with a sprig of thyme, cinnamon stick, and star anise.’
- ‘Tie on bundles of cinnamon sticks for a fabulous fragrance.’
- ‘Decorate with the cinnamon sticks, and if you fancy, almonds and sesame seeds.’
- ‘Take in the aroma of the towering spice trees whose barks provide cinnamon sticks, used to make delicious cocoa and spice tea.’
- ‘Heat the sugar gently in a heavy-based saucepan with a tablespoon of water and the cinnamon stick until it dissolves and becomes clear.’
- ‘There is little better than warm apple cider with a cinnamon stick.’
- ‘She said the drink is more interesting if there are whole cinnamon sticks and nutmeg with a grater on the bar.’
- ‘Spoon some cinnamon sauce over the dish and garnish with caramelized sugar, cinnamon sticks and ground espresso.’
- ‘Hot whisky, with a lemon slice, a cinnamon stick and some cloves will thunder through those blocked sinuses in no time.’
- ‘Place the orange and lemon rinds, cloves and cinnamon sticks into a piece of 100% cotton cheesecloth.’
- ‘I put a cinnamon stick in the filter with the grounds so my coffee tastes cinnamon-like.’
- ‘You can experiment with other materials - twigs, bamboo, cinnamon sticks - as your personal whims dictate.’
- ‘She stirred her cappuccino with a cinnamon stick, and looked thoughtfully at the foam for a few minutes.’
- ‘Pour cider in a shot glass, garnished with the cinnamon stick.’
- ‘Homemade decorations using cinnamon sticks and whole star anise can be strung together with thin ribbon or raffia and hung from the branches.’
- ‘A few cloves or cinnamon stick pieces would be a nice addition, or some dried rosebuds and petals.’
- ‘The cinnamon sticks that one buys are pieces of bark that have been dried and rolled up like a cigar.’
- ‘I had tacos with meat and crunchy cinnamon sticks.’
- ‘In a saucepan, combine brown sugar, almonds, cinnamon stick, nutmeg, cloves, allspice and wine.’
- ‘In a small saucepan bring cream, milk, orange zest and cinnamon sticks to a boil.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.