1A curved bundle of nerve fibers in each hemisphere of the brain.
belt, sash, strap, cummerbund, waistband, band, girth, cord, filletView synonyms
- ‘Between the cingulum and the periphery of the specimen, note the mingling of short and long association fibers with projection and commissural fibers.’
- ‘A large proportion of fibers in the cingulum traverse only relatively short segments of this rather compact bundle.’
2A ridge of enamel on the base or margin of the crown of a tooth.
- ‘The crown is constricted at the base, and a large cingulum is present.’
- ‘A small cusp may have been present on the anterior cingulum where this crest ended.’
- ‘Two enamel ridges cross the anterior cingulum.’
- ‘The teeth are transversely compressed and a cingulum is absent.’
- ‘The posterior cingulum is short, terminating before reaching the lingual margin of the tooth.’
Mid 19th century: from Latin, belt from cingere gird.