Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A person who is fond of motion pictures.
- ‘These works were a crucial part of many cinephiles ' introduction to the art of film.’
- ‘For cinephiles and would-be film-makers, Coppola's directorial debut makes for an excellent reference point and source of ideas.’
- ‘Growing up in the slums of Hong Kong, he became an avid cinephile, particularly interested in European, American and Japanese cinema.’
- ‘In the mind of the cinephile, three packed screens of Argentinean ennui at the local multiplex would be paradise.’
- ‘He repeatedly heard the complaint from cinephiles that there are no serious, adult dramas on studio schedules.’
- ‘Each piece discussed the ways in which we read images and documentaries, from our perspective as cinephiles.’
- ‘Critics who are truly cinephiles, I believe, often champion extremes.’
- ‘For many cinephiles, the picture is a frustratingly ignored gem.’
- ‘We had just come from one of our lunches, meetings filled with the argumentative yet respectful conversation of committed cinephiles.’
- ‘She wanted to see Mullholand Drive, as did I, but the start time was too late for we aging cinephiles.’
- ‘We might also regard the cinephile who seeks to view or ‘collect’ the maximum number of films possible as a variant of the film historian.’
- ‘I have always intuitively felt that, as it is for so many cinephiles, my relationship to film has deeply affected the way I see and know the world.’
- ‘With the end of the summer blockbuster season, it's once again safe for thinking cinephiles to begin making their way back into the theaters.’
- ‘This article has simply attempted to encourage cinephiles to seek out these beautiful films.’
- ‘He's already become a formidable, almost mythical figure to many hardcore cinephiles and critics, the kind of filmmaker who gets described in magical, visionary terms.’
- ‘It's not unusual for a movie to incite a buzz among cinephiles.’
- ‘The film is narrated through the eyes of the young cinephile, Toto, and Toto's world is the world of film.’
- ‘I commend Zizek for being one of the great cinephiles among the upper echelon of today's intelligentsia.’
- ‘I look forward to this film eagerly, as do most cinephiles.’
- ‘It is not an exaggeration to say that for several generations of film-makers and cinephiles, Bergman practically defined cinema.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.