Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A lightweight building brick made from small cinders mixed with sand and cement.
- ‘Nigerians build simple rectangular or cylindrical houses of reed, mud brick, or cinder block.’
- ‘His dark patio was hemmed in by a cinder block retaining wall that created a barrier between the 1940s house and the rest of the yard.’
- ‘Family houses are constructed of cinder block or brick rather than wood.’
- ‘Her cinder block apartment is sparse and clean, and the red curtains create a rosy hue in the morning sunlight.’
- ‘In our house, this kind of texture has been sprayed over a cinder block wall.’
- ‘The fire tore through the cinder block walls of five elevator shafts, turning them into giant chimneys for acrid, black smoke.’
- ‘I have a cinder block wall in a finished basement in a house built in 1978.’
- ‘Although the lobby and studio were lost, some of the 60-seat theatre was preserved in the cinder block building.’
- ‘I found myself on my room's balcony, which is separated from the other balconies by a barrier no thicker than a cinder block.’
- ‘Dry, sweet-smelling woods that hide the square cinder block house he shares with his wife and daughter.’
- ‘I have a question concerning the interior of my 1950's cinder block home.’
- ‘For brick, concrete and cinder block, only latex should be used.’
- ‘The cinder block building where these components were housed was cramped and poorly lit.’
- ‘However, some problems can arise if the wall is made of brick or cinder block.’
- ‘You're in a cinder block cell the size of most people's bathroom.’
- ‘Rats, too, can gnaw through lead sheathing, cinder block, aluminum sheeting, glass and electrical wires.’
- ‘He had the entire floor finished, it was plywood nailed onto a two-by-four frame supported by a sturdy cinder block foundation.’
- ‘She is walking me through the skeleton of the future clinic, which is being built cinder block by cinder block beside the old one.’
- ‘We had to learn how to work with cinder block, cement, and stucco.’
- ‘She parked her Ford Ranger on the west side of the small, half cinder block, half brick building.’
cinder block/ˈsindər bläk/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.