One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A lightweight building brick made from small cinders mixed with sand and cement.
- ‘Family houses are constructed of cinder block or brick rather than wood.’
- ‘His dark patio was hemmed in by a cinder block retaining wall that created a barrier between the 1940s house and the rest of the yard.’
- ‘I have a question concerning the interior of my 1950's cinder block home.’
- ‘The fire tore through the cinder block walls of five elevator shafts, turning them into giant chimneys for acrid, black smoke.’
- ‘I found myself on my room's balcony, which is separated from the other balconies by a barrier no thicker than a cinder block.’
- ‘Her cinder block apartment is sparse and clean, and the red curtains create a rosy hue in the morning sunlight.’
- ‘She parked her Ford Ranger on the west side of the small, half cinder block, half brick building.’
- ‘In our house, this kind of texture has been sprayed over a cinder block wall.’
- ‘For brick, concrete and cinder block, only latex should be used.’
- ‘Rats, too, can gnaw through lead sheathing, cinder block, aluminum sheeting, glass and electrical wires.’
- ‘Although the lobby and studio were lost, some of the 60-seat theatre was preserved in the cinder block building.’
- ‘The cinder block building where these components were housed was cramped and poorly lit.’
- ‘I have a cinder block wall in a finished basement in a house built in 1978.’
- ‘We had to learn how to work with cinder block, cement, and stucco.’
- ‘He had the entire floor finished, it was plywood nailed onto a two-by-four frame supported by a sturdy cinder block foundation.’
- ‘However, some problems can arise if the wall is made of brick or cinder block.’
- ‘You're in a cinder block cell the size of most people's bathroom.’
- ‘Nigerians build simple rectangular or cylindrical houses of reed, mud brick, or cinder block.’
- ‘Dry, sweet-smelling woods that hide the square cinder block house he shares with his wife and daughter.’
- ‘She is walking me through the skeleton of the future clinic, which is being built cinder block by cinder block beside the old one.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.