One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Relating to or denoting members of an ancient nomadic people who overran Asia Minor in the 7th century BC.
indistinct, faint, vague, ill-defined, unclear, blurred, blurry, misty, hazy, foggy, veiled, cloudy, clouded, nebulous, fuzzyView synonyms
- ‘A full Jurassic succession is rarely preserved in the southern North Sea Basin because of erosion associated with the late Cimmerian unconformity.’
- ‘Throughout this interval the Indo-China, Sibumasu and Cimmerian mini-continents lay just to the south/west of South China and were slowly amalgamating with that block.’
- ‘Cimmeria begins its collision with Laurasia to form the Cimmerian orogeny.’
- ‘The Cimmerian islands, the present Turkey, Iran and Tibet, broke completely free of the Australian craton and moved rapidly to the north.’
- ‘Like other blocks of the Cimmerian continent, the Baoshan block rifted from Gondwanaland.’
Relating to or denoting members of a mythical people who lived in perpetual mist and darkness near the land of the dead.
- ‘There the people dwell, Of the Cimmerians, in eternal cloud And darkness.’
- ‘His eyes adjusted to the now familiar gloom of the Cimmerian's headquarters.’
A member of the historical or mythological Cimmerian people.
- ‘In this sequel to Conan the Barbarian, Robert E. Howard's proud Cimmerian sets forth on a heroic quest to recover a magical treasure and restore the life of his beloved Valeria.’
- ‘Although this is billed as a Conan story, we really don't see too much of the Cimmerian warrior.’
Via Latin from Greek Kimmerios + -an.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.