Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Relating to or denoting members of an ancient nomadic people who overran Asia Minor in the 7th century BC.
indistinct, faint, vague, ill-defined, unclear, blurred, blurry, misty, hazy, foggy, veiled, cloudy, clouded, nebulous, fuzzyView synonyms
- ‘Cimmeria begins its collision with Laurasia to form the Cimmerian orogeny.’
- ‘Like other blocks of the Cimmerian continent, the Baoshan block rifted from Gondwanaland.’
- ‘Throughout this interval the Indo-China, Sibumasu and Cimmerian mini-continents lay just to the south/west of South China and were slowly amalgamating with that block.’
- ‘A full Jurassic succession is rarely preserved in the southern North Sea Basin because of erosion associated with the late Cimmerian unconformity.’
- ‘The Cimmerian islands, the present Turkey, Iran and Tibet, broke completely free of the Australian craton and moved rapidly to the north.’
Relating to or denoting members of a mythical people who lived in perpetual mist and darkness near the land of the dead.
- ‘His eyes adjusted to the now familiar gloom of the Cimmerian's headquarters.’
- ‘There the people dwell, Of the Cimmerians, in eternal cloud And darkness.’
A member of the historical or mythological Cimmerian people.
- ‘In this sequel to Conan the Barbarian, Robert E. Howard's proud Cimmerian sets forth on a heroic quest to recover a magical treasure and restore the life of his beloved Valeria.’
- ‘Although this is billed as a Conan story, we really don't see too much of the Cimmerian warrior.’
Via Latin from Greek Kimmerios + -an.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.