Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A vinegar made from fermented cider.
- ‘For your toner, dissolve 10 drops of lavender essential oil in 10 ml of cider vinegar and mix this with 140 ml of distilled water.’
- ‘After shampooing, I rinse my hair with a mixture of 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar and 1 cup warm water followed by another rinse with cold water.’
- ‘Next add a generous slosh of cider vinegar, an even more generous slosh of olive oil, two or three shakes of Worcester Sauce, a lot of freshly ground black pepper and a little sea salt.’
- ‘I parboiled new potatoes and tossed them with apple cider vinegar, olive oil, sea salt, and rosemary from the garden.’
- ‘To relieve the irritation of an insect bite itch, apply neat apple cider vinegar to the itchy spot, or add 500 ml of apple cider vinegar to a warm bath and soak in it.’
- ‘Select a good quality apple cider vinegar or wine vinegar.’
- ‘Apple cider vinegar is another good choice because it softens skin, restores the natural, protective acidity of skin and relieves itchiness.’
- ‘So I climbed the steps to my place, walked in, threw my keys on the counter and pulled the apple cider vinegar out of the cabinet.’
- ‘Amber comes over as I'm mixing the filling, this time using tapioca and cider vinegar.’
- ‘Proponents of apple cider vinegar say it's a natural substance with various health benefits, from healing burns to restoring energy to fighting premature aging.’
- ‘My wife opted for fresh soup of the day, while I asked for roasted red peppers and smoked salmon roulade, with creme fraiche, crispy leeks and cider vinegar dressing.’
- ‘When the chicken comes out, you add cider vinegar, honey and the figs.’
- ‘Once the milk reaches the desired temperature, stir in the cider vinegar.’
- ‘Wash produce in cider vinegar to remove pesticides.’
- ‘Use white distilled vinegar, since apple cider vinegar can leave stains.’
- ‘Apple cider vinegar provides a more rounded flavor and a few cloves of garlic boost the taste.’
- ‘I use apple cider vinegar, because that happens to be what I have handy.’
- ‘Apple cider vinegar is thought to help digestion, bind cholesterol, and balance your body's pH level, all of which help normalize metabolism and thus can spur weight loss.’
- ‘Another gem is the Barbecue Chicken, marinated in cider vinegar for fall-off-the-bone tenderness.’
- ‘I mix a couple ounces of water, an ounce of apple cider vinegar and a teaspoon of sugar until the sugar dissolves.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.