Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A perchlike freshwater fish of a family ("Cichlidae") that is widely distributed in tropical countries. Cichlids provide a valuable source of food in some areas, and many are popular in aquariums.
- ‘The cichlids have evolved an astonishing array of forms in Africa.’
- ‘Blue acara cichlids and guppies were obtained from a local aquarium fish supplier and were therefore of unknown origin.’
- ‘Many feeding behaviors found in cichlids are unique among freshwater fishes.’
- ‘German researchers have studied cichlids living in tiny volcano-crater lakes in Cameroon, West Africa.’
- ‘Tilapia cichlids can establish a strong population in a very short time span if the conditions are right.’
Late 19th century: from modern Latin Cichlidae (plural), from Greek kikhlē, denoting a kind of fish.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.