One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A digestive enzyme which breaks down proteins in the small intestine. It is secreted by the pancreas and converted into an active form by trypsin.
- ‘Examples are the digestive enzymes trypsin and chymotrypsin, which only have enzymatic activity after the protein chain is cut and fragments of the protein removed.’
- ‘In this study, we have used the Gaussian network model and a clustering method to analyze the dynamic properties of trypsin and chymotrypsin.’
- ‘All the three spice mixes when consumed through the diet favorably enhanced the pancreatic lipase, chymotrypsin and amylase activities.’
- ‘The completion of the sequence depended on the use of specific proteases - trypsin, chymotrypsin, and pepsin - to produce larger fragments.’
- ‘This group, including trypsin and chymotrypsin, evolved from a common ancestral protease, and all use the same mechanism of action at their active site.’
1930s: from chymo- (combining form of chyme) + trypsin.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.