One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A female member of the Christian clergy or of a Church.
- ‘A devoted churchwoman, James discusses her religious formation and her faith in her recent memoir, Time to Be in Earnest.’
- ‘When Michele relocated from Lake Havasu City, Arizona, to Reno, Nevada, in 2001, she tried to acquaint herself with the churchwomen in her new hometown.’
- ‘After the Civil War, however, churchwomen began to address the needs of ‘heathen’ women by organizing separate boards to send single women to the field.’
- ‘All the evidence we have, and it has been reported fully, is that the Salvadoran government has made no serious effort to investigate the killings of the murdered American churchwomen.’
- ‘At one point, the Red Cross director asked the Rocksprings' women to collect ‘kits’ for the servicemen, and the churchwomen decided they did not have the time or money to make the kits.’
- ‘November 3, 2000, almost twenty years after the four women were murdered, was a day of profound disappointment for the families of the American churchwomen.’
- ‘Dr. Smith, worked as a licensed psychologist for 20 years, headed Purdue University's counseling center and was a committed churchwoman too.’
- ‘Mrs Richardson was a devoted churchwoman and a member of the church choir until a few weeks before her death.’
- ‘The temperature rises when the churchwomen arrive with the bells and horns.’
- ‘Nine months later, four U.S. churchwomen who were working in El Salvador were killed, causing outrage in the States.’
- ‘At some point - no one was paying attention by now - the churchwomen in the chapel downstairs stopped singing.’
- ‘In 1999, relatives of the churchwomen filed a lawsuit against Garcia and Vides Casanova, but the men successfully argued that they could not be held responsible for the actions of rogue subordinates.’
- ‘‘We have tried not to focus just on our sisters,’ she said, referring to the widely known churchwomen killed in El Salvador, two of whom were Maryknoll sisters.’
- ‘A churchwoman par excellence, she sang in the St. Anthony's choir for three decades and was a member of the vestry for some 17 years.’
- ‘A few blocks away at the All Peoples Christian Church, a churchwoman who did attend the event dismisses the senior lead officer's remark as ridiculous.’
- ‘Many of Stanton's followers were active churchwomen.’
- ‘Under the Torture Victim Protection Act, the two were charged in an unsuccessful civil suit with command responsibility for the abduction, rape, and murder of the four American churchwomen.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.