One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
nounthe Church Militant
The whole body of living Christian believers.
- ‘Our Lord Jesus equipped the Church Militant with two potent weapons on that Maundy Thursday.’
- ‘Needless to say, today's Church Militant is plagued with indifference.’
- ‘This miniature, illustrating another psalm for the sons of Core, shows David before a crowned female figure, symbol of the Church Militant and then Triumphant.’
- ‘Members of the Church Militant are adept at all combat skills, including leading troops on the field of battle.’
- ‘In the order of Divine Providence, salvation is given to man in the Church: membership in the Church Triumphant is given through membership in the Church Militant.’
Mid 16th century: contrasted with the Church Triumphant in heaven.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.