One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A medical condition of unknown cause, with fever, aching, and prolonged tiredness and depression, typically occurring after a viral infection.
- ‘When Sophie fell poorly with glandular fever and then chronic fatigue syndrome her home computer provided a lifeline to the outside world.’
- ‘Lack of the hormone CRH also results in the feelings of extreme tiredness common to people suffering from chronic fatigue syndrome.’
- ‘Also known as chronic fatigue syndrome, Myalgic Encephalomyelitis leaves sufferers unable to perform even the simplest tasks without being left exhausted.’
- ‘Narcolepsy has been mistaken for epilepsy, chronic fatigue syndrome, and schizophrenia.’
- ‘This is still the case with conditions such as chronic fatigue syndrome and myalgic encephalitis.’
- ‘There is no definitive test for chronic fatigue syndrome like there is for diabetes or many other diseases.’
- ‘This is a controversial diagnosis that some regard as simply another name for chronic fatigue syndrome and that others regard as a distinct condition.’
- ‘Thus, it is easy to see how diseases as different as multiple sclerosis, rheumatoid arthritis and chronic fatigue syndrome can all share the same pathomechanism.’
- ‘The definition of chronic fatigue syndrome in adults has been much debated.’
- ‘He was also interested in the contribution of viral infections to chronic fatigue syndrome.’
- ‘The government's working group on chronic fatigue syndrome and myalgic encephalomyelitis wove patients' assertions into the scientific research in its report.’
- ‘This usually lasts a few days or weeks but in some cases can be long term and lead to conditions such as chronic fatigue syndrome.’
- ‘While the authors admit there is no cure, they align chronic fatigue syndrome with other conditions that can be successfully managed without a clear idea of aetiology.’
- ‘Cognitive behaviour therapy is an effective treatment for chronic fatigue syndrome in adults, and one uncontrolled study has shown that it can reduce fatigue in adolescents’
- ‘But most experts now agree that chronic fatigue syndrome is a distinct disease with physical symptoms.’
- ‘As well as hepatitis C, Allan has also been diagnosed with chronic fatigue syndrome.’
- ‘They proposed that such a shift could be due to the regimen of vaccinations given to veterans and that this could lead to symptoms akin to those of chronic fatigue syndrome.’
- ‘As senior registrar at the Royal Free he coordinated the lengthy study into the Royal Free disease, now called chronic fatigue syndrome.’
- ‘Myalgic encephalomyelitis, or chronic fatigue syndrome, has only been recognised by doctors in recent years’
- ‘A physician examined 10 patients who fulfilled diagnostic criteria for chronic fatigue syndrome and reported swollen neck glands.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.