The minimum amount of time needed to stimulate a muscle or nerve fiber, using an electric current twice the strength required to elicit a threshold response.
- ‘The repeated detection of stimulus threshold values and the chronaxie contributes to adapting the pulse delivery and thus the energy delivery to the changing needs of the patient.’
- ‘The chronaxies of the directly stimulated elements mediating the delay ranged from 0.13 to 0.24 ms.’
- ‘Ganglion cells would be expected to have a chronaxie of less than 1 millisecond like other central nervous system neurons, whereas non-spiking deeper cells have longer chronaxies.’
- ‘The following diagram will assist you in calculating rheobase and chronaxie for your nerve.’
- ‘There were no regular changes revealed in the rheobase of the muscle chronaxie and chronaxie of the defensive reflex after the introduction of Br/sup 82/.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.