One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The material of which the chromosomes of organisms other than bacteria (i.e., eukaryotes) are composed. It consists of protein, RNA, and DNA.
- ‘The de novo assembly of silent chromatin requires passage through the S phase of the cell cycle.’
- ‘The structure of chromatin is intimately linked to the function of the eukaryotic genome.’
- ‘The eukaryotic chromatin must be highly organized to fit into the small volume of the nucleus.’
- ‘Indeed the Polycomb protein has been detected in inactive chromatin isolated from the bithorax complex.’
- ‘Under normal conditions equal amounts of the four core histones are incorporated into chromatin.’
Late 19th century: coined in German from Greek khrōma, khrōmat- ‘color’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.