One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A long sock or similar receptacle hung up by children on Christmas Eve for Santa Claus to fill with presents.
- ‘Under a toy reindeer was a shiny pillow shaped like a Christmas stocking.’
- ‘One said: ‘I'm wondering whether to get it for my Christmas stocking next year or just to wait until it goes into Bargain Books.’’
- ‘Three quarters of Irish men are hoping to find their Christmas stocking filled with a CD, DVD or video and electronic goods such as TVs, video players or DVD players.’
- ‘Unruly children have traditionally been threatened with coal instead of presents in their Christmas stockings.’
- ‘However, mobile phones are landing in the Christmas stockings of younger and younger children.’
- ‘An updated version was released last year and a third version will hit the shops next month, just in time to fill those Christmas stockings.’
- ‘The hard-working crewmembers of the International Space Station are so confident they're in Santa's good graces; they're showing off their Christmas stockings to the world.’
- ‘Our Christmas stockings and star-shaped pillows, made from rayon velvet, are embossed with leaves and geometric shapes.’
- ‘Everything from artificial trees, Christmas stockings, angels, and ornaments adorning homes in the US, Europe and elsewhere are more likely to come from China than any other country.’
- ‘When we were kids, my Aunt Joan knitted Christmas stockings for everybody in the family.’
- ‘Oranges were once the staple of Christmas stockings.’
- ‘The range includes favourites such as Santa Claus tree hangings, smiling snowmen and bright berry wreaths, as well as decorative velvet tree skirts and ornate beaded velvet Christmas stockings.’
- ‘It's definitely one for the Christmas stocking.’
- ‘But I wasn't about to stuff gift certificates into Christmas stockings.’
- ‘She spent many hours knitting toys and other beautiful novelties for any children she knew, and one of her many specialities was knitting beautiful Christmas stockings and Santas.’
- ‘All types of craft will be on display from Christmas stockings and cards to woodturning and jewellery.’
- ‘Plett also sells other home-crafted items such as Christmas stockings and beeswax candles, and this year will offer cards and books.’
- ‘Clothes and music are two things I'd like to see in my Christmas stocking.’
- ‘It's the darkest time of the year and the opportunist thief is probably out and about looking to fill his Christmas stocking just as you are.’
- ‘On the floor, Linus dashed after his bouncy new chew toy and Caesar savaged a very wily new catnip mouse, but up on the bed, Rowena and Sammy went through their Christmas stockings and opened their gifts.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.