One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A lighted candle symbolizing Christ as the light of the world, held by children at a special Advent service originating in the Moravian Church.
- ‘Quest offers everything from information on the history of Christmas cards and how to make them, to what is and how to make a Christingle.’
- ‘The candle, later Christingle, service, soon spread throughout the world.’
- ‘On Sunday, December 19 at 11.30 am there will be a Christingle Carol Service in Taunagh Parish Church, Riverstown.’
- ‘As part of the Nativity service next Tuesday the youngsters will each receive a Christingle orange with a red band round it topped with a lit candle and sweets.’
- ‘It was a simple most moving service especially when, in a darkened chapel, the children with their Christingles glowing turned to face the congregation and sang the traditional Moravian carol ‘Morning star, O cheering sight’.’
1950s: probably from German dialect Christkindl ‘Christ child, Christmas gift’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.