One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The Jewish people considered (in Jewish and Christian tradition) as having been selected by God for a special relationship with him.
- ‘Originally a secular movement, Zionism has its foundation in the Millenarian belief that the Jews, the chosen people of God, will be reunited from diaspora (dispersion or exile) in their rightful homeland.’
- ‘He is preaching to Israel, God's chosen people, those who worshiped at the temple and synagogue and believed in the God of Abraham.’
- ‘They saw themselves as God's chosen people, a nation in exile from its land.’
- ‘We should all realize that we are the chosen people of Hashem, and we should use the Mitzvot as our clothing to separate us from the rest of the world.’
- ‘We realize that Jews are God's chosen people but we believe we can share in God's care and love.’
- ‘For God's chosen people, with their hard-earned identity of high-mindedness, by definition cannot sink into racist violence.’
- ‘When the Jews accepted the Torah at Mt. Sinai, they became the chosen people whose role and responsibility was to bring a God-given code of morality to the world.’
- ‘This was a wonderful summary of the faith of the chosen people, and I will certainly recommend this article to my friends.’
- ‘It describes how God chose the Jews to be an example to the world, and how God and his chosen people worked out their relationship.’
- ‘We need to stand together and remain the chosen people.’
- 1.1 (in Christian use) those destined for salvation; believing Christians.
- ‘By the death of Jesus Christ on the cross God's wrath against our sin is appeased, justice is satisfied and the love of God accomplishes the deliverance of his chosen people.’
- ‘God's chosen people become willing in the day of His power.’
- ‘And yet, for all the distance between our time and the apostles' time, for all the difference between our experience and Peter's, we are still a chosen people and a royal priesthood.’
- ‘We are all a chosen people, beloved of God, redeemed by the blood of Christ.’
- ‘The chosen people from this time on are identified as the faithful Christians of the church of Jesus Christ.’
- ‘In the new covenant introduced by Jesus, we have all become God's chosen people, called to spread the marvelous truth of his love to the world.’
- ‘There are dangerous forces in the world today that are working against the white Christian Americans that are God's chosen people.’
- ‘He testified that he believed that a priest was one of God's chosen people, and that one became a priest because of destiny.’
- ‘The same verb is used in only one other place in the New Testament, Ephesians 1: 6, where the recipients of God's favour are all of God's chosen people.’
- ‘Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.