One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The Jewish people considered (in Jewish and Christian tradition) as having been selected by God for a special relationship with him.
- ‘Originally a secular movement, Zionism has its foundation in the Millenarian belief that the Jews, the chosen people of God, will be reunited from diaspora (dispersion or exile) in their rightful homeland.’
- ‘This was a wonderful summary of the faith of the chosen people, and I will certainly recommend this article to my friends.’
- ‘We need to stand together and remain the chosen people.’
- ‘He is preaching to Israel, God's chosen people, those who worshiped at the temple and synagogue and believed in the God of Abraham.’
- ‘We realize that Jews are God's chosen people but we believe we can share in God's care and love.’
- ‘We should all realize that we are the chosen people of Hashem, and we should use the Mitzvot as our clothing to separate us from the rest of the world.’
- ‘They saw themselves as God's chosen people, a nation in exile from its land.’
- ‘It describes how God chose the Jews to be an example to the world, and how God and his chosen people worked out their relationship.’
- ‘When the Jews accepted the Torah at Mt. Sinai, they became the chosen people whose role and responsibility was to bring a God-given code of morality to the world.’
- ‘For God's chosen people, with their hard-earned identity of high-mindedness, by definition cannot sink into racist violence.’
- 1.1 (in Christian use) those destined for salvation; believing Christians.
- ‘We are all a chosen people, beloved of God, redeemed by the blood of Christ.’
- ‘The chosen people from this time on are identified as the faithful Christians of the church of Jesus Christ.’
- ‘Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.’
- ‘In the new covenant introduced by Jesus, we have all become God's chosen people, called to spread the marvelous truth of his love to the world.’
- ‘He testified that he believed that a priest was one of God's chosen people, and that one became a priest because of destiny.’
- ‘The same verb is used in only one other place in the New Testament, Ephesians 1: 6, where the recipients of God's favour are all of God's chosen people.’
- ‘By the death of Jesus Christ on the cross God's wrath against our sin is appeased, justice is satisfied and the love of God accomplishes the deliverance of his chosen people.’
- ‘God's chosen people become willing in the day of His power.’
- ‘There are dangerous forces in the world today that are working against the white Christian Americans that are God's chosen people.’
- ‘And yet, for all the distance between our time and the apostles' time, for all the difference between our experience and Peter's, we are still a chosen people and a royal priesthood.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.