Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A test made in early pregnancy to detect congenital abnormalities in the fetus. A tiny tissue sample is taken from the villi of the chorion, which forms the fetal part of the placenta.
- ‘These options include amniocentesis, early amniocentesis, chorionic villus sampling, and ultrasound examination.’
- ‘Women at higher risk of carrying a baby with such conditions may opt for testing procedures like amniocentesis or chorionic villus sampling.’
- ‘Some birth defects can be diagnosed before birth, using one or more prenatal tests including ultrasound, amniocentesis and chorionic villus sampling.’
- ‘Prenatal tests called amniocentesis and chorionic villus sampling can diagnose Tay-Sachs before birth.’
- ‘Another prenatal test, called chorionic villus sampling, can diagnose most, but not all, of the same birth defects as amniocentesis.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.