One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in insects) denoting sense organs which are responsive to mechanical and sound vibrations.
- ‘The anterior mVAC accommodates afferent terminals from other chordotonal organs that have retained their proprioceptive function.’
- ‘Numerous homologous regulatory genes are used for development of the chordotonal organs of Drosophila and of vertebrate ears, supporting the idea that invertebrate and vertebrate ears have a common origin.’
- ‘By contrast, in embryos from the fru sat line, no ß-galactosidase-positive cells were found in the embryonic CNS, and only the chordotonal neurons in the PNS were labeled.’
- ‘There are two main types of sensory organ, with invariant positions: external sensory organs, which can act as mechanoreceptors or chemoreceptors, and internal chordotonal organs, which monitor stretching.’
- ‘The sensory cells are organized into five external fields of campaniform sensilla and one internal chordotonal organ.’
Late 19th century: from chord + tonal.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.