One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An organ piece based on a chorale.
- ‘His ability to bring clarity to contrapuntal textures was well demonstrated in the middle two movements of the Overture to Handel's Occasional Oratorio, and in two Bach chorale preludes.’
- ‘Bach metamorphosed simple hymn tunes into complex chorale preludes for organ; Liszt realised Schubert songs, among a multitude of other composers works, as florid fantasies.’
- ‘To be fair, organists know that he wrote for their instrument, but rare the soul who plays, maybe, a few solitary chorale preludes.’
- ‘The shorter chorale preludes are also imbued with great wit and an eye for detail, especially the three settings of ‘Allein Gott in der Hoh sei Ehr’ which sound quite ravishing in Roscoe's hands.’
- ‘A late flowering of the cantus firmus manner of composition was in the use of chorale melodies as the basis of such forms as the chorale cantata and the chorale prelude.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.