Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A short ax with a large blade.
- ‘The word is also often applied to a fire engine, equipped with a number of burly men wielding choppers.’
- ‘They could make simple stone axes and choppers, and had brains about two-thirds the size of ours.’
- ‘It was then that I saw the crowd of women running up with sickles and choppers, shouting slogans.’
- ‘The victim, 17, was walking with a friend to a shop in Verdant Lane, Catford, when he was attacked by a gang of youths armed with the wood chopper and a wheel brace, the Old Bailey heard on March 16.’
- ‘The stone tools found with the hominid remains at Dmanisi, however, are simple choppers and scrapers similar to the Oldowan set found in the Olduvai Gorge, Tanzania.’
- ‘Quality underpinners, choppers and saws are available secondhand at reasonable prices for framers who do their homework.’
- ‘There are hammerstones, cores, and flakes associated with the manufacturing of Oldowan assemblages, as well as choppers and scrapers.’
- 1.1 A butcher's cleaver.
- ‘The handheld blender and chopper are used every day.’
- ‘Why are you using the huge chopper to cut cloves?’
- ‘Take a chopper and then break the backbones near the bottom of the cut (this is called chining).’
- ‘On one side is the butcher with his chopper, talking to the cook who is cutting up some meat.’
- ‘I had to use this giant chopper that weighed a ton and was already dull before I even struck the meat.’
- 1.2 A device for regularly interrupting an electric current or a beam of light or particles.
- ‘The beam line will consist of neutron guides, choppers, secondary shutters and shielding, along with the necessary utilities and safety and radiation protection equipment.’
- ‘The data on all the pixels obtained by a CCD at one exposure are read while using a light chopper, and the data on the odd lines are stored in a first memory and the data on the even lines are stored in a second memory.’
- ‘AC-coupled systems therefore incorporate a chopper that continually alternates views between a reference scene and a focused scene.’
- ‘It was a modified television vidicon tube with a TGS target, electron beam readout, a germanium lens, and a light chopper.’
- ‘A 250 W xenon arc lamp and a mechanical chopper provided the analyzing beam.’
- 1.3choppersinformal Teeth.
- ‘The Sonicare cleans your choppers with sound waves that produce 31,000 brush strokes per minute.’
- ‘Kids have fewer stains on their choppers, and those under 12 should ask a dentist before whitening.’
- ‘A standard set of 16 veneers over dingy old teeth, and the homely are transformed with instant white choppers.’
- ‘The teeth whitening specialists are already booking up fast, so get your choppers down there quick.’
- ‘If the meth user neglects his dental hygiene, as many reportedly do, it's goodbye choppers, hello dentures.’
- ‘As an added bonus, embracing this look is almost guaranteed to lead to thoughts of rugged, chisel-jawed types with big choppers.’
- ‘You're not a bad person for finding comfort in thumb-sucking, but you are permanently damaging your choppers.’
2informal A helicopter.
- ‘But it has had its tranquility shattered over the past few days, with the front lawn being converted into a helipad for the choppers ferrying staff to and from the stricken freighter.’
- ‘The chopper rolled over the top of the aircraft, gushing fuel and fire as it tumbled.’
- ‘The company's fleet of 13 airplanes and helicopters is down to two planes and one chopper.’
- ‘Smoke was seen rising from the wreckage of the Black Hawk helicopter, and other US choppers were seen hovering nearby.’
- ‘After a half-day's delay, the choppers returned to Kulis.’
- ‘And then, at daybreak also, choppers and fixed-wing aircraft were out here, an armada of them, dumping thousands upon thousands of gallons of water on the hot spots and on the flames.’
- ‘The capacity of some of the RAF's choppers would reduce the number of flights necessary to complete the work, leaving everybody better off.’
- ‘The two choppers from the Alaska Air National Guard's 210th Rescue Squadron climbed carefully over the layers of Mount McKinley's clouds while skirting the glacier.’
- ‘They also had help from choppers, bombers, other supporting elements of the 10th Mountain Division and small groups of Special Forces operatives.’
- ‘These choppers intercept several aircraft a week that have entered the no-fly zone.’
- ‘‘When I got to Canberra and started flying choppers, I played but it was a once in a while,’ he says.’
- ‘About thirty minutes later the chopper landed in the helipad.’
- ‘Great North Air Ambulance paramedic John Kerr said that although conditions on the helicopter were cramped, the chopper's small size meant that it could land on a piece of ground the size of a tennis court.’
- ‘The US recently stepped up its relief efforts, sending in 11 more Chinook helicopters to join the 17 US choppers already flying missions into the quake zone.’
- ‘The 47s picked up patients from the choppers and rushed them to full-fledged hospitals in Japan.’
- ‘Kitted out with the latest medical equipment and staffed with paramedics, the chopper's small size allows it to land on a piece of ground the size of a tennis court.’
- ‘Three of the helicopters had seen service as air-sea rescue choppers, the Alouette, the Dauphin and the current Sikorsky S61.’
- ‘Like the other three Coastguard helicopters, the Sligo chopper is equipped with all the latest search and navigational equipment and has an automatic hover capability.’
- ‘The choppers, eight total, left the Nimitz and were supposed to fly formation, low level, to the meet area.’
- ‘Several Ranger and Delta elements of the attack force immediately secured the area around the chopper.’
3informal A motorcycle, especially one with high handlebars and the front-wheel fork extended forward.
- ‘The father-of-three was fascinated by choppers, the low seated motorcycles made famous in the film Easy Rider, since being a teenager.’
- ‘The 1970s detail is quite particular: a chopper bike, space hopper and the piercing tunelessness of the daughter's descant recorder are all thrown into the rowing family's maelstrom.’
- ‘Even the heavy accent on chrome plating which is so characteristic of genuine choppers is absent in the Indian versions.’
- ‘He wrote Shadowmancer in six months - but thinking no publisher would touch it he sold his 1000 cc chopper motorcycle to self-publish last October.’
- ‘"The Chopper bike has got universal appeal and I think it will be very popular.’
- ‘Wall to wall choppers is not something that I really want to get into - I am happy with my ‘Raleigh Roadster’.’
- ‘I have four dirt bikes, a ' 93 Harley-Davidson Low Rider and an ' 03 custom chopper.’
- ‘There were representatives from a wide variety of motorcycle organizations, as well as a fine collection of custom choppers.’
- ‘Paris not only lives in a spotless Beverly Hills mansion; she also has her own bright pink Chopper bike.’
- ‘I also wonder why the police don't take a little more interest in the crazy foreigners who rent the huge chopper style motorcycles and who use the road as a drag strip.’
- ‘The games, to be published under the Activision Value Brand, will draw inspiration from the show's depiction of a father and son who build chopper motorcycles in their garage.’
- ‘Quite a few of them would have dreamed about sinking into the low saddle of a Harley Davidson chopper and thundering off with the feet resting up front and the hands on high handlebars.’
- ‘Huge sales of traditional games and toys - even chopper bikes - suggest a backlash against computer games and high-tech toys.’
A batted ball that makes a high bounce after hitting the ground in fair territory.‘Bell followed with a high chopper to the third baseman’
- ‘With one out in the eighth, the Mets' David Newhan hit a chopper behind the mound and to the third-base side.’
- ‘Belliard was hurt when he hit a high chopper to shortstop.’
- ‘It began innocently enough, with a Manny Ramirez chopper to the first-base side of the mound.’
- ‘Clemente swung with all his might but hit a soft high chopper over the pitcher's head which rolled toward the second baseman and skipped off his glove.’
- ‘MacDougal exacerbated the situation by hesitantly fielding Coco Crisp's chopper and airmailing it wide of first base, putting runners on second and third.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.