One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A place where stolen vehicles are dismantled so that the parts can be sold or used to repair other stolen vehicles.
- ‘Police in Umtata last week confiscated suspected stolen motor vehicle parts with an estimated street value of about R2 million at a chop shop during an operation code-named ‘Octopus’.’
- ‘We're not a chop shop, y'know; bring the car in, take the radio out and grab those hubcaps.’
- ‘Hence, this delay is disastrous only if the thieves get the stolen vehicle to a fast-moving chop shop or across a national border.’
- ‘According to one employee of the chop shop interviewed by the FBI, Tony often visited the East L.A. body shop, and on at least one occasion offered gang members who hung out there $500 apiece for stolen pay phones.’
- ‘Others are destined for so-called chop shops, that sell on the parts to rogue repair shops and mechanics.’
- ‘Pay those tickets tomorrow or watch your precious Mercedes, BMWs, and limos be turned over to some of the finest chop shops in the world.’
- ‘From there we traveled to Seth's parents' home, just in time to see his dad get a phone call from his friend informing him that the repair shop is a chop shop fueled by scams and being investigated by the FBI.’
- ‘With reference to hijackings, Hackart said police would target, for example, chop shops and syndicates.’
- ‘They either have to settle for stealing your car stereo and air bag, towing your car all the way to the chop shop or they break into your house and steal your keys first.’
- ‘Sure, an occasional vehicle disappears from the streets of our hometown, but Des Moines is light on beaches and chop shops.’
- ‘He ran a illegal chop shop, selling stolen cars on the black market, and tearing up other cars to make into new ones.’
- ‘A chop shop strips it down to the chassis, and saves all the parts.’
- ‘They steal Porsches and sell them to a local chop shop for quick, untraceable cash.’
- ‘His motorbike, part Honda, part Harley, was stolen from a biker bar, after being liberated from a chop shop, thus being thrice stolen and unidentifiable.’
- ‘I was a cultural mulatto, born and raised without the benefits of Watts, chop shops, Motown street corners, or deepdown Smithville fishing holes and chinaberry trees… I was too black to be white, too white to be black.’
- ‘Hopefully they are smart enough to deliver the car to the chop shop first and then come home with the money.’
- ‘Set in an actual chop shop that hit 16 degrees below zero, the intense scene was complete with actual grime dripping from the ceiling that the production crew did not have to manufacture.’
- ‘With an auto repair center, suspected of doing occasional chop shop work, and gang members spotted in the vicinity, an online map check shows its location to be in the precise center of the pentagram Harris sketched.’
- ‘Meanwhile, facilities vital to their operations, such as back alley chop shops where car bombs are built, are disappearing.’
- ‘Only too often, like a chop shop car, the new whole is less than the sum of the parts.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.