One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A compound of the sterol type found in most body tissues. Cholesterol and its derivatives are important constituents of cell membranes and precursors of other steroid compounds, but a high proportion in the blood of low-density lipoprotein (which transports cholesterol to the tissues) is associated with an increased risk of coronary heart disease.
Chemical formula: C₂₇H₄₅OH
- ‘Other drugs reduce levels of blood cholesterol or control blood pressure.’
- ‘It is essential for healthy cells but too much cholesterol in the blood can lead to heart disease.’
- ‘It takes cholesterol away from the cells and back to the liver, where it's either broken down or excreted.’
- ‘Statins are a group of drugs used for lowering the levels of LDL cholesterol in the body.’
- ‘In some people an increase in LDL cholesterol is accompanied by raised triglyceride levels.’
- ‘The only way to discover if you have high cholesterol is from a blood test, since there are no outward symptoms.’
- ‘You may be more likely to have type II diabetes if you have high blood pressure or high cholesterol.’
- ‘Serum samples were lipaemic with raised concentrations of cholesterol and triglycerides.’
- ‘The body can make all the cholesterol it needs without having to take in any additional cholesterol from the food we eat.’
- ‘They are also rich in vitamins C and E and are known to lower blood cholesterol.’
- ‘However, dietary cholesterol does not contribute much to blood cholesterol in most people.’
- ‘These decrease the amount of cholesterol in the blood but increase the amount of cholesterol in the bile.’
- ‘It is also important to have levels of blood cholesterol and blood pressure lowered.’
- ‘The two most important lipids in your blood are cholesterol and triglyceride.’
- ‘Yoghurt has other benefits for the body too, including an ability to quell cholesterol in the blood stream.’
- ‘Nephrotic syndrome also features abnormally high levels of blood cholesterol.’
- ‘The best way to prevent high blood cholesterol is to eat a healthy balanced diet low in animal fats.’
- ‘Men eating white bread saw no change in the amount of cholesterol in their blood streams.’
- ‘They contain a soluble fiber that mops up the precursors of cholesterol in the body.’
- ‘I didn't know what good cholesterol was and bad cholesterol and what the numbers were supposed to be.’
Late 19th century: from Greek kholē ‘bile’ + stereos ‘stiff’ + -ol.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.