Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
One of the D vitamins, a sterol that is formed by the action of sunlight on dehydrocholesterol in the skin. Deficiency of this vitamin affects calcium levels, causing rickets in children and osteomalacia in adults.Also called "vitamin D3" (see vitamin D)
- ‘The most important source of vitamin D for all individuals is the sunlight-driven conversion in skin of 7-dehydrocholesterol to cholecalciferol.’
- ‘Vitamin D in the form of cholecalciferol reduces the risk of a first osteoporotic fracture in older people by about a quarter, but only when prescribed at a relatively high dose, say researchers from the United States.’
- ‘The kidney is involved in the first step in metabolism of cholecalciferol to calcidiol, the form in which it is stored, and the liver in the final conversion to the active hormone calcitriol.’
- ‘Both groups received cholecalciferol and calcium carbonate oral supplementation.’
- ‘All patients received 800 IU of cholecalciferol and 1,000 mg of calcium carbonate.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.