Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A North American shrub of the rose family, with white flowers and red autumn foliage, cultivated as an ornamental.
- ‘Although we did not measure stem heights in our study, we have observed that red chokeberry is often taller than black chokeberry at this site.’
- ‘These included such hardy species as red chokeberry, buttonbush, spicebush and red twig dogwood.’
- ‘Shrubs - witch hazel, chokeberry, hydrangea, blueberry, sumac - added to the strange verisimilitude.’
- ‘Other shrubs with showy berries include viburnum species, firethorn, Aucuba japonica, barberry, cotoneaster, chokeberry and Skimmia japonica.’
- ‘Plant lower-growing, berry-laden shrubs, such as winterberry and chokeberry, as a bridge from the trees to ground covers.’
- 1.1The berrylike fruit of the chokeberry plant, which is bitter and unpalatable.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.