One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A North American shrub of the rose family, with white flowers and red autumn foliage, cultivated as an ornamental.
- ‘Shrubs - witch hazel, chokeberry, hydrangea, blueberry, sumac - added to the strange verisimilitude.’
- ‘Other shrubs with showy berries include viburnum species, firethorn, Aucuba japonica, barberry, cotoneaster, chokeberry and Skimmia japonica.’
- ‘These included such hardy species as red chokeberry, buttonbush, spicebush and red twig dogwood.’
- ‘Although we did not measure stem heights in our study, we have observed that red chokeberry is often taller than black chokeberry at this site.’
- ‘Plant lower-growing, berry-laden shrubs, such as winterberry and chokeberry, as a bridge from the trees to ground covers.’
- 1.1 The berrylike fruit of the chokeberry plant, which is bitter and unpalatable.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.