One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A North American shrub of the rose family, with white flowers and red autumn foliage, cultivated as an ornamental.
Genus Aronia, family Rosaceae: several species, especially the red chokeberry (A. arbutifolia), purple chokeberry (A. floribunda), and black chokeberry (A. melanocarpa), each named for the color of its fruits
- ‘Other shrubs with showy berries include viburnum species, firethorn, Aucuba japonica, barberry, cotoneaster, chokeberry and Skimmia japonica.’
- ‘Shrubs - witch hazel, chokeberry, hydrangea, blueberry, sumac - added to the strange verisimilitude.’
- ‘Plant lower-growing, berry-laden shrubs, such as winterberry and chokeberry, as a bridge from the trees to ground covers.’
- ‘These included such hardy species as red chokeberry, buttonbush, spicebush and red twig dogwood.’
- ‘Although we did not measure stem heights in our study, we have observed that red chokeberry is often taller than black chokeberry at this site.’
- 1.1 The berrylike fruit of the chokeberry plant, which is bitter and unpalatable.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.