One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A girl who sings in a church or cathedral choir.
- ‘Although it was initially expected to fetch €3m-plus at auction, the one-time choirgirl is believed to have paid closer to €2m for it.’
- ‘The head choirgirl was given one of the candles and the head choirboy the other.’
- ‘When he met Jack's mother, William was the organist at South Leith Parish Church; Alice was a choirgirl there.’
- ‘Like some others, she was dismissed as twee, all the more so when she sang like an overgrown choirgirl on her later albums.’
- ‘Later she joined the choir, becoming head choirgirl.’
- ‘Meanwhile 13-year-old choirgirl Hollie Hurn, has written to the Queen asking her to bring peace back to St James's Church.’
- ‘When I sing, I play the piano and look like a little choirgirl.’
- ‘Sophie went on to become head choirgirl at Bradford Grammar School at the same time as famous singer Gareth Gates was head choirboy.’
- ‘Choirgirl Olivia Williams has hit the right note with radio listeners who have voted her the winner of an X-mas Factor competition.’
- ‘Tori Amos, from the choirgirl hotel’
- ‘Nugusse met Miss Dawit at church in Camberwell, south London, where she was a promising choirgirl, and a relationship developed between them which lasted for two years.’
- ‘Thomas Smith, the "obsessive" boyfriend of 15-year-old choirgirl Mary Hewitt, stabbed her more than 30 times in a fit of jealousy, the Old Bailey heard.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.