One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A girl who sings in a church or cathedral choir.
- ‘Meanwhile 13-year-old choirgirl Hollie Hurn, has written to the Queen asking her to bring peace back to St James's Church.’
- ‘Although it was initially expected to fetch €3m-plus at auction, the one-time choirgirl is believed to have paid closer to €2m for it.’
- ‘Nugusse met Miss Dawit at church in Camberwell, south London, where she was a promising choirgirl, and a relationship developed between them which lasted for two years.’
- ‘Later she joined the choir, becoming head choirgirl.’
- ‘Tori Amos, from the choirgirl hotel’
- ‘Thomas Smith, the "obsessive" boyfriend of 15-year-old choirgirl Mary Hewitt, stabbed her more than 30 times in a fit of jealousy, the Old Bailey heard.’
- ‘The head choirgirl was given one of the candles and the head choirboy the other.’
- ‘When he met Jack's mother, William was the organist at South Leith Parish Church; Alice was a choirgirl there.’
- ‘Choirgirl Olivia Williams has hit the right note with radio listeners who have voted her the winner of an X-mas Factor competition.’
- ‘When I sing, I play the piano and look like a little choirgirl.’
- ‘Sophie went on to become head choirgirl at Bradford Grammar School at the same time as famous singer Gareth Gates was head choirboy.’
- ‘Like some others, she was dismissed as twee, all the more so when she sang like an overgrown choirgirl on her later albums.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.