One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A synthetic drug used as a tranquillizer, sedative, and antiemetic. It is a phenothiazine derivative.
- ‘He conducted double-blind controlled trials on the important antipsychotic drugs chlorpromazine and haloperidol, and later on antidepressants.’
- ‘Antipsychotic drugs such as chlorpromazine and haloperidol help to reduce aggression.’
- ‘Isolated instances of such damage have been reported with such drugs as benoxaprofen, chlorpromazine, haloperidol, imipramine, and others.’
- ‘The 29 year old died from aspiration of vomit after mixing diazepam, chlorpromazine, temazepam, flunitrazepam, and clomethiazole.’
- ‘Treatment of delirium requires use of neuroleptic drugs, such as haloperidol and chlorpromazine, not sedatives.’
1950s: from chloro- + prom(eth)azine.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.