One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A sandy-colored gazelle with black horns, found on the Tibetan plateau.
Pantholops hodgsoni, family BovidaeAlso called Tibetan antelope
- ‘But Chinese filmmaker Lu Chuan says he was inspired by the true story of the chiru - a rare antelope - and the Tibetan volunteers who risk their lives to protect the endangered antelope from poachers.’
- ‘That the chiru - gazelle-like antelopes of Tibet and China - had to be slaughtered to obtain the wool was another matter.’
- ‘The soft wool of a rare Tibetan antelope, the chiru, has been so highly prized that the animal which numbered some million in 1900 is threatened with being hunted to extinction.’
- ‘Four mountaineers in the high steppes of northern Tibet and northeastern China have located the key calving ground of the chiru, a rare Tibetan antelope.’
- ‘The endangered Tibetan antelope or the chiru has been chosen after a fierce global contest as one of the five mascots of the Beijing Olympics 2008.’
Late 19th century: probably from Tibetan.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.