One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An order of mammals that comprises the bats. There are over 900 living species of bats, and they are found on every continent except Antarctica.
- ‘Maps for the Insectivora, Chiroptera, and Cetacea are not included in this chapter.’
- ‘Depending on the rodent species considered, however, some comparisons of Rodentia versus Cetacea and Chiroptera did not support rate differences.’
- ‘All bats belong to the order Chiroptera, meaning ‘hand-wing.’’
- ‘Let's investigate the origin and evolution of flight in our representative taxa: the Pterosauria, Aves, and Chiroptera (bats).’
- ‘The traditional subdivision of the Chiroptera into megabats and microbats may not accurately reflect evolutionary history.’
Modern Latin (plural), from chiro- ‘hand’ + Greek pteron ‘wing’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.