Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Handwriting, especially as distinct from typography.
handwriting, hand, script, penmanship, pen, print, printing, longhand, calligraphy, chirographyView synonyms
- ‘As can be seen, even the adequate classification of chirography in relation to other picture signs, or other tracings on surfaces, remains a task for the future.’
- ‘There can be no doubt that his chirography has been modified, like that of Paulding, by strong adventitious circumstances - for it appears to retain but few of his literary peculiarities.’
- ‘I will briefly touch upon that in this paper to establish a theoretical basis for the generated electronic chirography project.’
- ‘It does, indeed contribute to render spoken discourse more effective, but so does elegant chirography or clear typography improve the effectiveness of written thought.’
- ‘The picturesque, to be sure, is equally deficient in his chirography and in his poetical productions.’
- ‘In spite of the clear chirography, some labor to read such a letter was required, for the crossed characters were confusing to the human eye, which can read in only one direction at a time.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.