One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A burrowing ground squirrel with cheek pouches and light and dark stripes running down the body, found in North America and northern Eurasia.
Genus Tamias, family Sciuridae: many species, including the eastern chipmunk (T. striatus), common in the eastern US
- ‘This last includes chipmunks, gophers, marmots, and prairie dogs.’
- ‘By sheer luck, no chipmunks or groundhogs have yet found it.’
- ‘For example, yellow pine chipmunks and deer mice pilfer each other's cached seeds under wet conditions.’
- ‘They prey chiefly on chipmunks and other rodents.’
- ‘In chipmunks, with internal cheek pouches, losses can amount to 60% of the preformed and metabolic water available from the seeds harvested.’
- ‘That chosen for chipmunks is a compromise between the speeds reported for foraging chipmunks and migrating lemmings.’
- ‘Small rodents, such as hamsters, squirrels, chipmunks, mice, and rabbits, do not typically carry rabies.’
- ‘There are lots of birds, chipmunks, red squirrels, snakes and there was even a tree frog at our site.’
- ‘I've seen squirrels without ears, and chipmunks with very short tails, and mice with beaky wee stabmarks in their chests!’
- ‘The raccoons made it through the long winter as their nightly raids on our bird feeders attest, and we all know that nothing gets the best of the squirrels and chipmunks!’
- ‘He personally has freeze-dried weasels, deer, chipmunks, squirrels, guinea pigs, chinchillas, ferrets, and more.’
- ‘At the small animal shed, which is home to lambs, goats, rabbits, chinchillas, as well as chipmunks, rats, mice and polecats, youngsters are encouraged to stroke and pet the animals.’
- ‘The sweet nut within the acorns is coveted by songbirds, ground birds, small mammals like squirrels and chipmunks, and even deer.’
- ‘Hawks circle above in search of mice, chipmunks, voles, and rabbits, which have less cover in which to hide.’
- ‘Even though we're on the edge of a major city, our yard is populated by a variety of mice, moles, squirrels, chipmunks and opossums.’
- ‘Squirrels and chipmunks move through the forest in a similar fashion.’
- ‘Small mammals, rats, field and house mice, rabbits, pocket gophers, chipmunks and squirrels make up 80-85 percent of their diet.’
- ‘No subject was ever used more than once in the experiments; the total number of subjects involved was 30 chipmunks and 30 deer mice.’
- ‘He caught chipmunks whose cheek pouches were so stuffed with lodgepole pine seeds that not one more would fit.’
- ‘Many chipmunks and tree squirrels also exhibit a mating chase during breeding.’
Mid 19th century: from Ojibwa.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.