Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A burrowing ground squirrel with cheek pouches and light and dark stripes running down the body, found in North America and northern Eurasia.
- ‘Many chipmunks and tree squirrels also exhibit a mating chase during breeding.’
- ‘I've seen squirrels without ears, and chipmunks with very short tails, and mice with beaky wee stabmarks in their chests!’
- ‘In chipmunks, with internal cheek pouches, losses can amount to 60% of the preformed and metabolic water available from the seeds harvested.’
- ‘That chosen for chipmunks is a compromise between the speeds reported for foraging chipmunks and migrating lemmings.’
- ‘There are lots of birds, chipmunks, red squirrels, snakes and there was even a tree frog at our site.’
- ‘Hawks circle above in search of mice, chipmunks, voles, and rabbits, which have less cover in which to hide.’
- ‘Squirrels and chipmunks move through the forest in a similar fashion.’
- ‘They prey chiefly on chipmunks and other rodents.’
- ‘He personally has freeze-dried weasels, deer, chipmunks, squirrels, guinea pigs, chinchillas, ferrets, and more.’
- ‘Small rodents, such as hamsters, squirrels, chipmunks, mice, and rabbits, do not typically carry rabies.’
- ‘This last includes chipmunks, gophers, marmots, and prairie dogs.’
- ‘Small mammals, rats, field and house mice, rabbits, pocket gophers, chipmunks and squirrels make up 80-85 percent of their diet.’
- ‘At the small animal shed, which is home to lambs, goats, rabbits, chinchillas, as well as chipmunks, rats, mice and polecats, youngsters are encouraged to stroke and pet the animals.’
- ‘The sweet nut within the acorns is coveted by songbirds, ground birds, small mammals like squirrels and chipmunks, and even deer.’
- ‘For example, yellow pine chipmunks and deer mice pilfer each other's cached seeds under wet conditions.’
- ‘No subject was ever used more than once in the experiments; the total number of subjects involved was 30 chipmunks and 30 deer mice.’
- ‘He caught chipmunks whose cheek pouches were so stuffed with lodgepole pine seeds that not one more would fit.’
- ‘Even though we're on the edge of a major city, our yard is populated by a variety of mice, moles, squirrels, chipmunks and opossums.’
- ‘By sheer luck, no chipmunks or groundhogs have yet found it.’
- ‘The raccoons made it through the long winter as their nightly raids on our bird feeders attest, and we all know that nothing gets the best of the squirrels and chipmunks!’
Mid 19th century: from Ojibwa.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.