One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1An intricate puzzle consisting of many interlocking pieces.
puzzle, conundrum, brain-teaser, problem, unsolved problem, question, poser, enigma, mystery, quandary, paradoxView synonyms
- ‘The change in level across the site is intelligently exploited to create a series of living and sleeping spaces that lock together with the pleasing intricacy of a Chinese puzzle.’
- ‘He's like a Rubik's Cube in a Chinese puzzle in a Russian nesting doll hidden in a maze with no exit.’
- ‘The main theatre is set back behind a generous foyer space, its permeability and luminance contrasting with surrounding blind boxes of the two cinemas, which lock together in section like Chinese puzzles.’
- ‘Simple but effective is the best way to describe the Tangram, a Chinese puzzle that's cut into 7 different shapes.’
- ‘It's like a big jigsaw or Chinese puzzle,’ Schmidt says, describing the jam-packed play as ‘terribly lyrical and very atmospheric, moody and a little creepy’.’
- ‘The various spaces interlock with the elegant complexity of a Chinese puzzle.’
- 1.1 A very complicated or perplexing situation.
- ‘Trying to get inside her head was a big adventure, a complex Chinese puzzle that occupied my mind and time.’
Chinese puzzle/ˌCHīˈnēz ˈpəzəl/
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.