Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- another term for pull-up
- ‘Steve, 52, who lives in Stoneleigh, smashed the previous record of 445 by completing 512 straight body chin-ups in one hour last Saturday.’
- ‘At 4 am on the 10th, I got up, reached up to the Milky Way and did a few chin-ups among the dazzling brilliance of the stars.’
- ‘Add variety to your workout with other great back exercises including pull-ups, chin-ups, machine rows, lat pull-downs and pullovers.’
- ‘IF YOU CAN do more than 10 chin-ups, attach a weight around your waist with a nylon belt.’
- ‘From now on, I'm going to reduce the number of push-ups and chin-ups so I don't wear myself out before the star-date is through, Relena mused.’
- ‘The last conversation I had with alpinist Alex Lowe, in August 1999 in Salt Lake City over a tumbler of single-malt, was about how many chin-ups a climber needed to do to stay fit for the mountains.’
- ‘Having squeezed out another 12 reps of wide-grip chin-ups, he contemplates his next exercise while stretching out a pair of bloodfilled lats.’
- ‘We start off each day doing chin-ups in zero gravity.’
- ‘I like my swimmers to perform body weight, upper body movements such as chin-ups, horizontal body weight rows, push-ups and one-arm holds.’
- ‘Resistance training such as chin-ups, lunges or simply pushing your physiotherapy exercises to the extreme are all useful when strengthening essential skiing muscles.’
- ‘The guys do chin-ups, and the girls do a flexed arm hang, which is difficult.’
- ‘‘Forearms can get a workout just from gripping weights or with chin-ups,’ says Jay.’
- ‘Soldiers also perform a lot of natural exercises which involve only their body weight, for example, chin-ups, push-ups etc.’
- ‘And age 45, he completed 1,000 push-ups and a thousand chin-ups in an hour and 22 minutes.’
- ‘In the Corps our test consists of chin-ups, sit-ups, and a timed three mile run.’
- ‘Pull-ups and chin-ups are staple exercises for any rock climber.’
- ‘‘You have to do a minimum of 12 chin-ups, at least 34 push-ups, and run a mile in less than 6: 48,’ Cummings explains.’
- ‘When he wanted to hit the lower lats, he always used a narrow grip for chin-ups, pulldowns and any type of row.’
- ‘Step both feet forward, and then pull yourself completely off the ground with your feet in front of you; or do conventional chin-ups with your palms toward you, working shoulders and lats.’
- ‘We walk to a pole for chin-ups, but I look back at her.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.