One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A great ape with large ears, mainly black coloration, and lighter skin on the face, native to the forests of western and central Africa. Chimpanzees show advanced behavior such as the making and using of tools.
- ‘Her friendly demeanor is appreciated by all, especially by the monkeys, chimpanzees and even the gorilla.’
- ‘Protected species such as elephants, gorillas and chimpanzees are prized, but illegal, pieces of meat.’
- ‘A 1996 case was even traced to hunters who skinned and chopped a chimpanzee found dead in the forest.’
- ‘The apes are a category of primates represented in Africa by gorilla, chimpanzees and bonobo.’
- ‘His favorite species for this work are chimpanzees, bonobos, and capuchin monkeys.’
- ‘The net effect is that hunting bonobos, chimpanzees, and gorillas has now become big business.’
- ‘The apes nest on the ground like gorillas but have a diet and features characteristic of chimpanzees.’
- ‘What is the most human-like behaviour you saw in chimpanzees?’
- ‘Could some birds really be as intelligent as primates such as chimpanzees or bonobos?’
- ‘Wild chimpanzees and bonobos can be skilled at selecting tools for particular jobs.’
- ‘No African fossil has ever been found that is related to chimpanzees or gorillas.’
- ‘Critics argue that, as a result, young chimps never learn how to be chimpanzees.’
- ‘The situation is most dire for primates such as bonobos, chimpanzees and gorillas.’
- ‘We'll start with lower ones, and then work up to our closest relatives, the chimpanzee and bonobo.’
- ‘Humans and gorillas are sister taxa and are more closely related to one another than either is to chimpanzees or baboons.’
- ‘Gorillas practice infanticide and chimpanzees hunt and torture baboons.’
- ‘The argument is at its most powerful when it comes to the great apes chimpanzees, gorillas and orang-utans.’
- ‘The apes are most likely a group of giant chimpanzees that display gorilla-like behavior.’
- ‘The Mercury flights lifted two rhesus monkeys, two chimpanzees, and six men into space.’
- ‘Orangutans and bonobos will be the first to go, then gorillas, and finally chimpanzees.’
Mid 18th century: from French chimpanzé, from Kikongo.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.