One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A great ape with large ears, mainly black coloration, and lighter skin on the face, native to the forests of western and central Africa. Chimpanzees show advanced behavior such as the making and using of tools.
Genus Pan, family Pongidae: the common chimpanzee (P. troglodytes) and the bonobo
- ‘His favorite species for this work are chimpanzees, bonobos, and capuchin monkeys.’
- ‘The Mercury flights lifted two rhesus monkeys, two chimpanzees, and six men into space.’
- ‘Gorillas practice infanticide and chimpanzees hunt and torture baboons.’
- ‘Her friendly demeanor is appreciated by all, especially by the monkeys, chimpanzees and even the gorilla.’
- ‘A 1996 case was even traced to hunters who skinned and chopped a chimpanzee found dead in the forest.’
- ‘The apes nest on the ground like gorillas but have a diet and features characteristic of chimpanzees.’
- ‘The argument is at its most powerful when it comes to the great apes chimpanzees, gorillas and orang-utans.’
- ‘The net effect is that hunting bonobos, chimpanzees, and gorillas has now become big business.’
- ‘Orangutans and bonobos will be the first to go, then gorillas, and finally chimpanzees.’
- ‘Critics argue that, as a result, young chimps never learn how to be chimpanzees.’
- ‘We'll start with lower ones, and then work up to our closest relatives, the chimpanzee and bonobo.’
- ‘The apes are a category of primates represented in Africa by gorilla, chimpanzees and bonobo.’
- ‘No African fossil has ever been found that is related to chimpanzees or gorillas.’
- ‘Protected species such as elephants, gorillas and chimpanzees are prized, but illegal, pieces of meat.’
- ‘The apes are most likely a group of giant chimpanzees that display gorilla-like behavior.’
- ‘The situation is most dire for primates such as bonobos, chimpanzees and gorillas.’
- ‘Could some birds really be as intelligent as primates such as chimpanzees or bonobos?’
- ‘Humans and gorillas are sister taxa and are more closely related to one another than either is to chimpanzees or baboons.’
- ‘What is the most human-like behaviour you saw in chimpanzees?’
- ‘Wild chimpanzees and bonobos can be skilled at selecting tools for particular jobs.’
Mid 18th century: from French chimpanzé, from Kikongo.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.