Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A hamburger with a topping of chili con carne.
- ‘Actually, Perry mentions Tommy's, then stipulates that he views chiliburgers as a separate category outside the focus of this story.’
- ‘She's on the verge of throwing them out when Hunter comes over and leads them out of the restaurant, chiliburgers in hand.’
- ‘After 25 minutes Waitress 3 delivered the chiliburger by itself and with mustard.’
- ‘This is the kind of chili used to top chilidogs and chiliburgers all over the country.’
- ‘They spent their allowances on greasy chiliburgers and French-fries served in plastic baskets, and they sat on one of the faded outdoor tables.’
- ‘The next stop was Jay's Jayburger, a tiny, sleek, chrome stand famous for their chiliburgers.’
- ‘Those who grew up or lived in Los Angeles and have a penchant for sloppy chiliburgers know Original Tommy's, a 60-year-old standup-shack of a place at the corner of Beverly and Rampart boulevards.’
- ‘The same deliciously thick slice of tomato on every burger… They have set the standard for the chiliburger in L.A. and they have held that crown, while expanding.’
- ‘Students packed the Dining Commons, waiting in line for hot dogs, chilidogs, hamburgers, chiliburgers, garden burgers and fries.’
- ‘We ordered hamburgers, a chiliburger, a BLT, and fries with self-serve fountain drinks.’
- ‘It also, if left out in a little dish overnight, will absorb all the odor of that super-duper chiliburger with double sauerkraut somebody left on the counter all day.’
- ‘The menu, too, picks up the motif, featuring the likes of chiliburgers, cheese fries, and onion rings.’
- ‘Juan and his family serve up a generous dose of humor along with some of the best red chiliburgers and tacos, not to mention great shakes and soft ice cream.’
- ‘The Lee brothers also invented the first chiliburger to ever hit Trinidad.’
- ‘Willie's is well known for burgers, chiliburgers, and tamales.’
- ‘Famous for its Indian frye bread, the restaurant has everything from chiliburgers to taco salads.’
- ‘All you need to know here is that the burgers, the open-faced chiliburger and the onion rings are among the city's very finest.’
- ‘Afterward we went over to Tommy's for some amazing chiliburgers and ended up back over at Boomer's so the guys could drive the golf carts.’
- ‘Billy B's Burgers is located on Jefferson Road just north of Winchester Road and is known for its chiliburgers.’
- ‘But we do appreciate our many fans in the S. F. Bay area and we look forward to bringing our famous chiliburgers to you sometime in the future.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.