Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1The action or skill of looking after children.
- ‘A working mother of two is facing a weekend of single-handed child care while her husband attends a conference in Paris.’
- ‘No recognition, beyond patronizing euphemisms, is ever given for housework and child care.’
- ‘EOC research has found that men now do about a third of all parental childcare.’
- ‘Working fathers still often play minimal or secondary roles when it comes to child care.’
- ‘Research shows that women earn less than men and do the vast majority of the domestic chores and childcare.’
- ‘In the long run that will probably only happen if fathers are willing and are given the opportunity to be just as involved in child care as mothers.’
- ‘Men's and women's roles in childcare are related to the class-divided society we live in.’
- ‘Women will still be doing the bulk of the household chores and childcare.’
- ‘The group also offers support to parents and community groups who wish to access child care training.’
- ‘While women may know most about child care and home hygiene, men may make budget decisions.’
- ‘How can we look at these issues without acknowledging the role of fathers in childcare?’
- ‘In this situation it is not enough to say childcare should rest with parents.’
- ‘The magazines can help a woman or man become a better parent by reading about child care.’
- ‘What is it about men and their utter inability to cope with the normal minutia of child care?’
- ‘For example, men of color have been found to do more household labor and child care than do white men.’
- ‘The author steers clear of medical jargon as she puts together handy tips on childcare.’
- ‘However, in the household, women still are expected to perform child care and basic maintenance.’
- ‘The centre is seeking names of people interested in taking a course in childcare.’
- ‘The best nursery nurses have a talent for childcare that cannot be taught.’
- ‘It is legitimate to expect men to play a role in taking responsibility for contraception and childcare.’
- 1.1The care of children by a day-care center, babysitter, or other provider while parents are working.
- ‘Lack of childcare and transport can make it difficult for many women to access training and support.’
- ‘Many agree that the government needs to invest more in parental leave and quality childcare.’
- ‘Better yet, we could have personal tax breaks for everyone who has to pay for childcare.’
- ‘There is much confusion about the type of childcare services available to parents.’
- ‘Apart from the lack of jobs, the main obstacle for lone parents who want a paid job is the lack of childcare.’
- ‘The best way of choosing childcare is to go and see a range of nurseries, childminders or other carers.’
- ‘The cost starts early, with a third of the money going to working parents to help with childcare costs.’
- ‘There are several different childcare options available to parents returning to work.’
- ‘New staff can also be offered childcare on a temporary basis until they find something more permanent.’
- ‘They will be able to meet and speak to special advisers about finding work, childcare and tax credits.’
- ‘The problem is that there is no realistic scheme of funding or childcare.’
- ‘She had won a place to become a student teacher but could not afford childcare for her daughter, Jessica.’
- ‘It gives the opportunity to parents to work knowing that their children have high quality childcare.’
- ‘The results also show that childcare will again be an issue in the next general election.’
- ‘Of course, the middle-class mother in Britain may be able to afford private childcare.’
- ‘She would get excited about going to parties with friends and looked forward to a career in childcare.’
- ‘I think that the failure of the government to give working parents tax relief on childcare costs is a scandal.’
- ‘If someone wanted to go into childcare they would be looking for a larger nursery than ours.’
- ‘Those using childcare the most are managers, administrators and professionals.’
- ‘Fortunately he was in childcare during this time and they were really good about it.’
child care/ˈCHīld ˌker/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.