One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in Mexican cooking) a dish of fried tortilla strips typically topped with a spicy tomato sauce and cheese.
- ‘This same spicy red sauce turns Romero's morning chilaquiles into an event.’
- ‘Our entrées arrive. The chilaquiles are written up on the menu as Mexican lasagna: layers of tortilla, cheese, chicken, salsa and sour cream.’
- ‘The engine's clang and grind smoothed out slightly, and the aromatic bite of the diesel fuel was replaced by a sweeter, balmier perfume of chilaquiles.’
- ‘I love chilaquiles so we're going to a Mexican restaurant for brunch.’
- ‘In one household he gustily ate the breakfast chilaquiles, guzzled juice, and jumped at the chance for second helpings.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.